First Week in Royal Oak


 

Good morning my beautiful friends and family! This has been my first week not serving in the mandarin branch. Now I am with Elder Andersen, covering the 2 wards that surround the Calgary temple! It is a very beautiful and a very rich neighborhood. I've met quite a few members and loved them all so much. We have gotten 7 dinners over the past 6 days... Also, my companion Elder Andersen is a beast, he is an Olympic rower from Norway. He gets up 30 minutes early everyday to go on a run/bike/or rollerblade. Saturday morning we ran 7km in the snow, my body is still recovering. 




Getting some lunch reps


Zooming on the blades

The new responsibilities we have make most days pretty packed! Meeting with the stake president, multiple ESL meetings each week, calling each of the District leaders for "stewardship calls", filling out so many google sheets, and trying to still find time for language study. So grateful for this amazing work and the role Elder Andersen and I are playing in it:)

On Sunday we had to go on a split with some other Elders because we had a really important lesson with our friends Lloyd and Nancy, and an 8 year old baptism that was going to have so many non-members there! So Elder Dodge and I went to the lesson with our bishop, and Elder Andersen went with Elder Vashaw to the baptism. I wasn't told too much before going into the lesson other than Nancy was chinese, the kids speak chinese, and the dad just got back from the hospital and is going back in for surgery the next day. Bishop's plan was to teach the second half of the plan of salvation but said "I don't follow lesson plans, I just follow the spirit so follow my lead." So, we went in and the discussion was amazing! We were able to address some concerns for why they haven't accepted baptism yet. The spirit was strong as we taught them that they could live as eternal families as they make it a goal to enter the temple after baptism. We didn't get them a date but they committed to praying as a family and pondering why/when they want to get baptized. 

The other Elders were able to make some sweet contacts while at the baptism!



I love this opportunity to adjust to a new area. I am grateful for all the new members I get to meet and the chance to serve in such a great area. This is truly the Lord's work! Jesus Christ is the Son of God, He suffered and died for each of our pains and sorrows! He loves you!

Elder Giles


Comments