Staying in Downtown!

Got the transfer notice last night! Elder Choi and I are still going to be killing it here in downtown, Elder Ruan 
(my trainer) is going to be Elder Vincent's companion in the North, and Elder Johnson is in a trio with Elder Zhu
 and Elder Leung in the South. Looking forward to see the good work we can continue to progress here in Downtown! 
This has been a really awesome week to finish off the transfer, but saying bye to my original trainer (Elder Li) has
 been really sad!! The weather has been staying nice and neutral, not too cold and not too hot! Just nice enough to 
wear a white shirt and jacket:)  We made some new friends and are keeping the ESL grind going strong! Here are 
some highlights---->>>>

5 pin bowling
Last Pday we had our Zone Pday since some of our friends are going home today! We wanted to do something fun,
 so we decided to go bowling. The only place that said they offered 10 pin bowling was in a city outside of Calgary
 called Airdrie. So we all went up there and found out that they actually only had 5 pin bowling, just like all the other 
places. (I guess they don't take bowling as serious as we do down in America) Anyways, I got to 5 pin bowl the first 
time! The balls are about a 3rd of the size with no holes so there is a learning curve, but once we got passed the 
"5 year old birthday party" feeling, we had a good time!

"Are you the new Elder Li?!"
One of the 5 nights we were at ESL this week this amazing quote made my day. After class I was talking to the 
Rounds (the senior companionship who has taken over ESL) about what we can do to get ESL signs up around all 
the chapels and how we can digitalize all the handouts that people keep losing. As we were talking one of the 
missionaries standing close looks at me and says, "Are you the new Elder Li??" We jump high-fived. I hope to 
someday be like this great missionary!

ESL Video
A big chunk of time was taken this week by filming a new ESL training video with some other missionaries. 
The video is a 5 minute, one take instructional video on how we run the classes. When someone messed up 
a line we had to start the whole thing over. It was fun to film and we all got a good laugh out of trying to make it! 
Even the final cut isn't perfect but it will get the point across!

The Text Message Miracle
So pretty much my whole mission I have been teaching a part member family every Friday afternoon. They are 
such a great family but since the father is not a member and won't let the kids get baptized, there is some contention. 
We have been challenging the family to come to our church every other week just to get some balance in what
 they are learning. This Friday we went over to there house at the regular time, ready to share them our message 
for that week. We got to the home and the mom was so so happy to see us. Apparently that morning she tried to 
send us a text message saying "don't come over today... etc..." but the message wouldn't send!! She kept saying 
how God would not let the message send because he knows that we need to keep teaching these kids the 
fundamentals of the Gospel! It was a testimony builder for them and we had an amazing lesson that day.

Got my Debit Cards Stolen...
On Friday night we were at the chapel playing basketball. We normally always put our clothes and bags in the
 Family HIstory Center and lock it. But, whoever was the last one in there left the door wide open. When we were
 done playing we went back into the room and the only thing I noticed missing was my lulu bag... like the ones you
 get at checkout! I was super sad cause it was my favorite one. It wasn't until that night I looked at my wrist and my 
watch wasn't there!! My favorite $16 casio. The next day Elder Ruan notices that his debit card and all the cash in
 his wallet was missing, I was grateful that they took from me was my wallet and my bag, until I looked at my wallet
 and both my Debit cards were gone!! They didn't even notice the $100 cash on the other side of my thread wallet...
 I called my dad immediately to cancel the card but before we got to it the thief had already spent $20 at a gas
 station and $20 at the grocery store. Now I have to live off of this $100 cash until I can get my card replaced haha. 
People are scary, don't leave anything unattended!

Elder Li Exchange Training
On Sunday we got a final exchange approved by President so that I could go with Elder Li and learn to actually 
become him! We had some amazing talks about the mission and how things go. I'm super glad that I was able to 
learn so much from him about ESL and looking at results rather than methods. We also went around to a ton of
 different members to say goodbye! Super special day but i'm gonna miss that guy!

Immerse yourself in the light of the Gospel
President Nelsons invitation to us all. "...immerse yourself in the glorious light of the Restoration." Set goals and 
make individual plans on how you can do a better job completely immersing yourself! This Gospel is the only way to 
true happiness. 

Elder Giles




Comments